Sunday, July 25, 2010

Perouges or Bust!?!


Last week I went on a day trip to Perouges, a small town about an hour outside of Lyon. We were told it was a beautiful medieval town, but that's about it...catch my drift? We got off the bus and were set free to roam around this bite size town that we knew almost nothing about. Honestly, I spent most of my time in the gift shop and waiting for the wine tasting. From the description I've given thus far, you would think that I had a mediocre time in Perouges, but on contraire, this small town offered more than my initial impression. Its breathtaking views and my ample free time helped me appreciate the natural beauty of the French countryside. I thought about my family in the States, and how I wished they could share this experience with me. I did a little bit of meditating and found a morsel of personal peace.


While waiting to taste some of the locally produced wine, I really got to relax. My friend Dave, who's on a Dialogue close by in Geneva, came to visit and we had a good time joking, laughing, and enjoying everyone's company. Perouges offered me a nice break from our 7 hour class days and the familiarity of Lyon.


Le Caveau de St. Vincent offered me something more than a break, it offered me a drink! The cave was awesome! Although we were a little rushed though our tasting due to the buses getting ready to leave, I had a great time tasting the local rose and red wines. a statue of le caveau's namesake stood holding a vine of grapes (appropriately) and the tasting room had a real medieval dungeon feel. I respected its authenticity.

When I look back on it now, Perouges wasn't so bad after all... =)

No comments:

Post a Comment